Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much! #StoriesfromDharmaLife




“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”
-          Helen Keller

On one busy day in June, when I came back to work after a quick tea-break to resume sending mails and meeting deadlines as usual, I found that someone had kept a box of cheesecake and a flower along with a note on my desk. The note just said, “Because you had such an exhausting day”. 

You plant a seed. You water that seed, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little too much and sometimes just right. And then slowly, when you see a tiny, delicate green shoot rising towards sunshine, you know that you have done your part. This is exactly how it works in leadership. You give out as much as you can, and then they give back to others and to you in unimaginable ways. When I was first appointed as the manager of my team, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to motivate my teammates enough to keep up their good work.

 But soon, I realized that there are little ways to show appreciation that go a long way in making team members feel visible and heard and that automatically improves their performance. Whenever a teammate would successfully complete a difficult task, come up with a great idea or carry out an act of kindness, I would leave them a note with a few encouraging words and maybe a bar of chocolate. Their faces would light up, even if for a moment, as they would realize that their positive actions are being seen and appreciated.

As I ate my cheesecake and re-read the note that day, it warmed up my heart. It didn’t matter anymore who decided to cheer me up, all I could think of was that my little ways of showing appreciation had inspired my team to spread this vibe of positivity and gratitude all around. Soon, other teams followed suit and right now, our entire space is filled will a display of notes and doodles of appreciation from each other. Inspired by this culture, some members of other teams have also started this practice of cheering and motivating each other by exchanging notes and pictures. The creative energy of many individuals that stay hidden in an otherwise formal office environment have come to light and frankly, it’s infectious!

It’s amazing how motivation starts with a little seed, but if taken care of, can bloom into a bright, beautiful garden.

 - Sanchari (Creative Team-lead)


Like what you read? 

Learn how you can carve your own leadership style and build a strong team with some smidgens of motivation here!

Comments